The Oxford Martin School Blog
Newcomers, names and numbers – a look back at 2012
14 Dec 2012 0 comment(s)
Looking back over the past year, 2012 has been an extraordinary period for the Oxford Martin School. The School has inspired new collaborative research, global partnerships and supported Oxford academics who hope to help shape our global future. Since its foundation seven years ago, the number of institutes and programmes within the School has risen to more than 30, with some 300 associated interdisciplinary researchers working to address the world’s greatest challenges.
Newcomers to the School this year include programmes which address New Economic Thinking, the Future of Food, Resource Stewardship, Human Rights, and Quantum Technology, as well as extensions to our Vaccines and Emerging Infections programmes.
September saw the launch of the Oxford Martin Commission for Future Generations, chaired by Pascal Lamy, Director-General of the World Trade Organization. Its aim: to address the gridlock in international and national attempts to deal with key global problems and overcome today’s impasse in key economic, climate, trade, security and other negotiations.
Our programme of events brought brilliant thinkers to Oxford, inspiring wide audiences and generating stimulating debate. Oxford Martin public lectures in 2012 came from Pascal Lamy, Larry Brilliant, James Martin, Amartya Sen, Elon Musk, Garry Kasparov, Peter Thiel, Mark Shuttleworth and Kenneth Rogoff.
From Doha to Davos, our academics have represented the Oxford Martin School at global meetings and conferences, engaging with policymakers, donors and business leaders to disseminate and enhance the impact of our research.
2012 in numbers
- We had more than 180,000 visitors from over 184 countries viewing 629,000 pages of the website. This compares with 108,000 visitors in 2011.
- On twitter we sent more than 750 tweets and increased our number of followers from 1690 in 2011 to 2,682 in 2012.
- We have 1,919 likes on our Facebook page compared with the 284 active monthly users of 2011.
- We hosted 344 events, with audience numbers varying from more than 950 to see Elon Musk to some 260 who attended our Can emerging technologies change the world? seminar series.
- We posted 57 blogs and 68 news stories.
- We uploaded 60 webcasts from lectures and events, with one video getting watched over 45,000 times within a single week!
- Our academics were mentioned in more than 314 media outlets including broadsheet newspapers (Guardian, New York Times, Independent, Financial Times), business magazines (Economist, Business Voice), specialist publications (Scientific American, The Engineer), academic publications (Nature, New Scientist), as well as on the BBC, Bloomberg and other television networks.
As we look towards 2013 we will continue to keep you up to date with the impacts and outcomes arising from our cutting-edge research. Through blogs, news stories, videos, seminars and social media we welcome your engagement with the School and look forward to seeing you at our exciting upcoming events.
From all of us at the Oxford Martin School, best wishes for the holiday season and the coming New Year!