People Professor Brian Nolan
Director, Oxford Martin Programme on Inequality and Prosperity
Professor of Social Policy
Brian Nolan is Director of INET’s Employment, Equity and Growth Programme and Professor of Social Policy at the Department of Social Policy and Intervention. He was previously Principal of the College of Human Sciences and Professor of Public Policy at University College Dublin.
He is an economist by training, with a doctorate from the London School of Economics, and his main areas of research are income inequality, poverty, and the economics of social policy.
Recent research has focused on trends in income inequality and their societal impacts, the distributional effects of the economic crisis, social inclusion in the EU, top incomes, deprivation and multiple disadvantage, and tax/welfare reform. He has been centrally involved in a range of collaborative cross-country research networks and projects, most recently the Growing Inequalities’ Impacts (GINI) multi-country research project on inequalities and their impacts funded by the EU’s Framework Programme 7.
Recent books published by Oxford University Press include The Handbook of Economic Inequality (2008) which he co-edited with Wiemer Salverda and Tim Smeeding, Poverty and Deprivation in Europe (2011) co-authored with Christopher T. Whelan, The Great Recession and the Distribution of Household Income (2013), edited with Stephen Jenkins, Andrea Brandolini and John Micklewright, and two co-edited volumes from the GINI project in 2013.
Director, Employment, Equity and Growth Programme
- Nov 2017
- Children of austerity: impact of the great recession on child poverty in rich countries
- Jun 2017
- An age-old problem? Exploring Britain’s new wealth divides
- Dec 2016
- Panel Discussion: Tackling inequality: strategies, priorities and effects
- Oct 2016
- "Inequality and its discontents" with Prof Brian Nolan
- Nov 2015
- Mind the gap: inequality and its impacts
- May 2015
- ‘We’ve never had it so good’ – how does the world today compare to 1957?
- Apr 2015
- Book Launch "Inequality" by Sir Tony Atkinson
- Jul 2018
- Inequality and Ordinary Living Standards in Rich Countries: Shared Challenges and Contrasting Fortunes
- Apr 2017
- Children of Austerity: Impact of the Great Recession on Child Poverty in Rich Countries
- Apr 2017
- Intergenerational class mobility in Europe: a new account and an old story
- Aug 2016
- Stagnating median incomes despite economic growth: Explaining the divergence in 27 OECD countries
- Jan 2015
- Inequality, Economic Growth and Prosperity