Between 30 November and 11 December 2015, all eyes will be on Paris for COP21. On the first day, the Climate Change: The finance sector and pathways to 2 degrees conference will be an opportunity to discuss the role of finance in the fight against climate change and the associated tragedy of time horizons. The conference will explore the question of whether we can reconcile the long-term climate challenges with the time frame of investment decisions and thus speak to the larger issues facing both investors and policy makers.
The 2° Investing Initiative, the Oxford Martin Net Zero Carbon Investment Initiative and France Stratégie are inviting key representatives from finance, industry and experts in climate science to share their vision and propositions on financing the low carbon transition with the decision makers and governments gathered in Paris for climate negotiations.
The event will echo the initiative from the Bank of England and the G20 to explore the implications of climate change for the finance sector, as well as the new French energy transition law that makes disclosure on these issues mandatory for the finance sector. Arnaud Leroy and Denis Baupin, both members of the French Parliament and active in this area, will host this conference.
The conference will feature keynotes by François Villeroy de Galhau, Governor of the Banque de France, and Ottmar Edenhofer, Former Co-Chair of Working Group III of the IPCC, as well as experts on finance and climate change on two panels.
Venue: Salle Victor Hugo - Building Jacques Chaban-Delmas, 101 rue de l'Université, 75007 Paris
For more information and to register: http://info-strategie.fr/DS21102015135333.cfm
15:30-16:00 Registration of participants, welcome coffee
16:00-16:10 Welcoming remarks
- Arnaud Leroy - (member of the French parliament)
- Denis Baupin (member of the French parliament)
- Jean Pisani-Ferry (France Stratégie, Commissioner-General)
16:10-17:40 Session 1- Financing innovation to reach net zero emissions Introductory remarks
- Ottmar Edenhofer (Former Co-Chair of Working Group III of the IPCC)
Moderators: Cameron Hepburn, Co-Director of the Oxford Martin Net Zero Carbon Investment Initiative and Stan Dupré
- Corinne Le Quéré (Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, Director)
- Irving Mintzer (Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, Professor and Advisor to the Executive Office of the UN Secretary-General)
- Kamel Ben Naceur (International Energy Agency, Director Sustainable Energy Policy and Technology) Q&A session
17:40-19:10 Session 2- Looking to 2°C: The role of finance
- Keynote speech:François Villeroy de Galhau (Banque de France, Governor)
17:55-19:05 Panel discussion
Moderators: Myles Allen, Co-Director of the Oxford Martin Net Zero Carbon Investment Initiative and Hugues Chenet
- Luiz Pereira da Silva (BIS, Deputy General Manager)
- Myriam Durand (Moody’s France, Managing Director)
- Bertrand de Mazières (European Investment Bank, Director General of Finance)
- Colin le Duc (Generation IM, Founding Partner)
- Spencer Lake (HSBC, Global Head of Capital Financing)
19:10-19:30 Concluding remarks
- Michel Sapin (French Minister of Finance and Public Accounts) [tbc]
From 13:30 to 15:30, the 2° Investing Initiative will hold an introductory session to present the “2 degree Portfolio” framework that has been developed as part of the SEI Metrics project: click here to see the report.